At dusk, when my heart becomes malleable
Like a proteus whose shape depends upon
The slow death of the day and the coming
Of the unknown night, I gather what little light
Remains and infuse it into my freshly forming dreams
That I might pass from this waking light into utter darkness
With more ease and less pain. I treasure each morphing shade
As they are pulled back into darkness, and gaze at the horizon
Where the light lingers longest, shaping my every breath
According to the disappearing sun, and even after it is gone,
The light that rims that line of land that seems so familiar remains.
Deep down within my soul I gasp for light,
And as it disappears I drown and resign myself to my unknown fate.
The moon is suddenly bright, and I have so many questions.
The stars begin their luminary dance
And my eyes betray my longing as they search
For some meaning in the far corners of the universe,
And I wonder whether this night will deliver me.
The day will come, or so I tell myself.
Either that or an infinite night well beyond the reach of starlight
Where my soul will spiral forever deeper down
Into the nothingness from which all souls are sprung
And into which they must return.
No comments:
Post a Comment